Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Problems with the 2012 Oscar Nominations

Oscar Nominations were listed today and right away I found myself angry! Below are my problems with the list and my opinion on who will win according to their list. The full list of 2012 Oscar Nominations can be found here.

1. Why were there only 9 films chosen for Best Picture? 50/50, Ides of March, Crazy Stupid Love, Young Adult, and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are all real contenders for the spot of 10th film nod. Artist will win, but Hugo deserves to win.

2. Best Actor category filled with award favorites, not necessarily best actors. Leonardo Dicaprio (J. Edgar) and Joseph Gordan Levitt (50/50) should have been included over Brad Pitt. Clooney, Pitt, and Oldman all delivered adequate performances (Oldman perhaps the best), but Dujardin (The Artist) will win. Levitt should have been nominated and won.

3. Best Actress category is filled with incredible performances. There were handfuls of strong leading ladies this year and while some were left out, they were not substituted by weaker actresses unlike the best male actor category -however, I would have liked to have seen Theron (Young Adult) nominated somehow. Meryl Streep will win, and probably should win.

4. Supporting Actor category has two inclusions that take away from more deserving actors. Jonah Hill (Moneyball), in particular, delivered a strong but not award winning performance. Sacha Baron Cohen (Hugo), however, did. Christopher Plummer will win, but Cohen should win.

5. I have no issues with the Best Supporting Actress category. Lots of great female actors this year and it is difficult to choose who was best. I think Octavia Spencer (The Help) will win, but I have to admit to not seeing the Artist yet.

6. Honestly, this was not a terribly strong year for animated movies. From the Oscar list I have only seen two of the nominations, Rango and Kung Fu Panda 2, which neither were all that special. What I do find notable is that Cars 2 was not nominated. This makes it the first time Pixar has not been nominated, and from what I hear from reviewers, they didn't deserve a nomination anyways.

7. In the Best Director category we see David Fincher again being snubbed. I think Fincher and Christopher Nolan need to start up their own self-help I got snubbed by the Oscars again club! Scorsese for Hugo is a shoe-in for winning the award, but Hazanavicius and Payne may give him a run for his money. Overall, a lot of strong contenders.

8. Best Original Score overlooked Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross' amazing soundtrack for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a real shame because Reznor and Ross produced an amazing soundtrack that added depth to each scene of the movie. Tintin is the obvious choice for me as to who should not have been included in the list, but I think the Artist will win as it is a silent movie and therefore the soundtrack becomes that much more obvious and important.

9. How can there be only TWO nominations for Best Original Song? How? Was there really only two good original songs this year? Bullshit! I'm sure Elton John had at least ONE decent song from Nomeo and Juliet! Plus, The Muppets was loaded with awesome songs! Muppets will easily win.

10. Best Adapted Screen Play makes a HUGE omission by not including Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Huge mistake! My money is on Hugo winning.

11. Best Original Screen Play also made HUGE omissions by not including Young Adult and 50/50
Either one of these movies could have won, but as it stands I would have to choose Midnight in Paris.

No comments: